Eve means ‘life-bearer’. Eve is the Great Mother, Everywoman.
- Creation of the universe.
This story about Eve describes the creation of humanity and the universe.
- Eve, the first woman. What does she do? What’s Eve’s role?
- God created Eve to be Adam’s helper; his wife.
Genesis 218 Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
20 The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam, there was not found a helper fit for him.
21 So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.
22 And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
23 Then the man said, “This, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman because she was taken out of Man.”
They are of the same flesh and the same bone. From the moment of creation, neither man nor woman can be complete without the other. Working together, they form the basic unit of society, the family. The story recognizes that men’s and women’s lives interlock so completely in economic and social matters, that need each other.
Eve [and Adam] were given a perfect world, but they were also given the power of choosing, making decisions.
However, here’s what happens:
‘Eat the fruit’ said the serpent. ‘Why not?’ Eve was intrigued. The fruit would make her wise, she thought. So she took one piece from the Tree of Knowledge, ate it and offered some to Adam. He ate it too.
- Eve explores the Garden, she meets and questions the serpent, she makes a decision, then retreats to Adam and makes suggestions for a game plan.
- Independent and curious, she disobeys God’s command. She eats the forbidden fruit, bringing a significant change in the Garden of Eden – and in human history. [The fall of man.]
- Eve’s actions transfer humanity out of the Garden. [Genesis 3:24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.]
What choices and actions have you taken that further this curse Yahweh has placed on humanity?
What can we do to get in line with Yahweh and living a Godly life?
Afterall, Yahweh gave us the option of choice. What are your choices? How do they affect your life?
Next up will be more about Eve and her role as wife and mother! Stay tuned for tomorrow’s post.
Please offer feedback and leave comments/questions. Let’s interact.
Do you or a loved one need prayer? Send me a message using the below contact form.